Tuesday, December 9, 2008

my ebenezer

Come Thou Font of Every Blessing.

This was a hymn written in 1758 by a man named Robert Robinson. I don't know if everyone has heard this song, but it stresses the joy of Christianity and the immense need for Christians to rely fully on the Lord. One of the verses in this hymn says, "Here I raise my ebenezer." What in the heck is that? I mean sometimes we sing this in church, but the first thing that comes to my mind is Ebenezer Scrooge and the story of Christmas. I think this is what first spurred my interest.

Anyway, the term ebenezer means: my rock or stone of help. This verse about ebenezer in the hymn is actually a quote from 1 Samuel and it is describing the battle between the Philistines and the Israelites and long-story short, Samuel raises a stone that he calls ebenezer, to remind his people of how God was faithful in helping them in battle.

So how does this apply to me writing this blog? I think that with this season of finals and busy-ness of life that I feel caught up in, today God graciously gave me some amazing alone time with Him in the prayer chapel and in reading the Bible they have in there, I was reminded that no matter what happens in life, finals, school, whatever, God will always be faithful in helping me with whatever "Battles" I may be in.

In light of the Christmas season, I bought a new Bible today [along with a new bible highlighter, which is basically a more expensive colored pencil] and realized that my Bible, is my version of Samuel's ebenezer. Any time that I feel down or impatient or simply need something to put my problems or fears on, I can look at my Bible and be reminded of all the promises that are in it. The Bible is a tangible object that represents my rock, my stone of help, my ebenezer: my Lord and Savior Christ Jesus.

i like this version, very calming:

2 comments:

carsonbelmont said...

AMEN!

Anonymous said...

You were right it is a stone and not a sword like I thought.
1 Samuel 7:12
Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, "Till now the LORD has helped us."